This weekly educational pottery course for home schooled kids is designed to encourage endless imagination, teach resilience and persistence, and allow independent creativity under the guidance of an expert potter. This is a pottery making club, conveniently scheduled during the day for home educated kids, where they will make ceramics from scratch and not just paint pottery.
Each term we explore a different theme and use techniques from coiling, slabbing and pinching, to decorating and underglazing. Exploring 3D design and sculpting with clay is a great introduction to design and functional forms and so it suits home schooled kids who are creative, practical or expressive.
We guarantee your home-ed kids will finish each club session feeling inspired, proud, positive, calm and happy. They will also develop fine motor skills, problem solving skills, initiative, and curiosity. Plus, they get to keep their lovely pieces and are awarded a certificate on completion of each term!
This home education kids pottery course is suitable for repeat bookings and you will see their work improve quickly and their confidence grow. Pieces will be fired on their behalf by the Keeeps team and can either be collected or posted to you 4-6 weeks after the course ends.
Upcoming courses (see dates and times in the date selector):
Functional Ceramics - January/February 2024 (click 'i' to see dates)
On this course, your home-ed kids will roll up their sleeves and design pottery that is practical and operational, as well as attractive and fun. Handmade ceramics are known for their beauty, but extra thought must go into creating forms that can be used, held and enjoyed. We will discuss the origins of functional pottery (that go back to 9000 BC!) and how our ancestors used it in their daily life.
We also have a vast array of pottery tools at Keeeps and as they are very much part of the process of making pottery, tool design will also be discussed.
A practical and thought provoking course with outcomes that can be used around the home for years to come!
Decorative Work with Clay – April/May 2024 (click 'i' to see dates)
Time to explore aesthetics and attention to detail in ceramics. Focusing mainly on slab built pottery that is rolled out creating a smooth surface from which to start, we teach your home educated kids fascinating and fun techniques to make their pottery truly unique.
Whether they like painting, etching or prefer 3D applications, there is something for all home-ed kids to decorate ceramics with. We will discuss the history of decorative pottery and show our home-ed crew images of decorative techniques used throughout the ages and across the world. They will then cement this knowledge by reproducing their own versions.
In the Keeeps studios, we have printing and etching tools, lots of colourful underglazes, coloured slips, and more - enough to keep them very busy and engaged.
|1.5 hours on weekday afternoons from 1.30pm - 3pm for 5 weeks
|7 years - 13 years
|Mainly handbuilding with opportunity to try the wheel
|Maximum class size
|No experience required
- Water bottle
- Mask (optional)
- Clothes that you don’t mind getting dusty and dirty
- Flat shoes/trainers, no open toe shoes
- You will need to remove your rings so you may wish to leave these at home
- Hair tied back
- Sensible length nails if you are going on the pottery wheel
- Something to make fun or pretty textures in the clay (optional)
- Children aged 15 and under joining adult classes must be accompanied by an adult over 18 (this does not apply to the Kids Holiday Pottery Club, After School Club or Kids Clay Taster Class as these are classes specifically for kids to have fun together!)
- Please be punctual for the class and arrive 15 minutes in advance of the start time. Remember to give yourself enough time to park, especially at the weekend
- Coffee and tea making facilities including 10 minute refreshment break
- All tools and equipment
- Class tuition by experienced potter
- On site ceramic technician
- Toilets are just large enough for clothes changing if required
- Clay and a selection of glazes
- Kiln firing service to your pieces - can either be collected or posted to you 4-6 weeks later
Class fees include tuition, materials, firing costs and tea and coffee. Payment must be made in full at the time of booking.
- A full refund or transfer will be offered where you seek to cancel with notice of at least 14 days prior to the class date.
- For cancellations with prior notice of less than 14 days but more than 7 days from the class date, no refund will be offered, but the option of rearranging the class will be available.
- Cancellations with less than 7 days’ notice are non-refundable. In circumstances beyond your control, please contact us in store or by phone (01628397000) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- In the unlikely event that Keeeps cancels your class, we will do our best to organise an alternative date within a reasonable period of time. If this is not possible a full refund will be offered..